KS5 BTEC Information Technology
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Information Technology
This qualification is designed for learners who are interested in an introduction to the study of creating IT systems to manage and share information, alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in IT.
Throughout the course learners will:
- Learn about information technology systems
- Create systems to manage information
- Investigate the use of social media in business
- Investigate and design a business website
Learners will develop a common core of IT knowledge and study areas such as the relationship between hardware and software that form an IT system, managing and processing data to support business and using IT to communicate and share information through data systems and Social Media.
Learners will understand the importance of hardware and software combining to produce systems that deliver an efficient solution to meet user demands, develop data management systems suitable for use in business, examine and create professional business websites and investigate the importance of Social Media to businesses, designing a campaign to address their requirements.
Methods of Assessment:
- Using Social Media in Business (Internally assessed project, 24 points)
- Creating Systems to Manage Information (Externally assessed computer-based exam, 24 points)
- Website Development (Internally assessed project, 16 points)
- Information Technology Systems (Externally assessed written exam, 32 points)